Child Labour

 



Did you ever wonder why a 10-year-old boy sells bread late at night when he's supposed to sleep in his bed so he can go to school the next day?

If you haven't done this yet, well... I've got it. Around 9:00 p.m. I was leaving from visiting my family when unexpectedly a child comes after us asking, "Do you want cinnamon rolls? I have for sale!" I turned around instantly and was outraged by the picture in front of me. I was standing watching it trying to process it. "I told someone who was with us, "What's a kid doing here in these late hours, working? He ought to be sleeping at home! ".

The response I got was not the one I expected, because at that moment I really thought this person was expressing the same outrage as me, but obviously this was not the case.

Too much touched my heart. I learned from that moment that many of us sometimes neglect issues to the point that they become 'natural' stuff. But what, you know? My inner urge to do something to strive to fix child labor was awoken.

I grew up seeing kids cleaning car windows in the streets of my hometown, selling bread and cleaning strangers' shoes to get a few cents to eat or, in many cases, to carry money to their parents who are waiting for them at home. There are many kids who work and take on tasks, obligations and responsibilities that they are not supposed to take, But because they have to eat, feed their parents or, worst of all, feed their younger siblings, they do it.


I guess I didn't grasp the situation very well when I was very young and thought like I couldn't do anything at that time either. I agree, however, that I was not young enough not to care about children's situations like that.

I understand the situation much better now that I have grown up, especially its effect. A child who is not in a classroom with children his age is unable to learn and have fun, enhance their social skills, and be motivated by personal development and entrepreneurship.

I know that for many people, seeing children working seemed to be something too natural in my country (and in so many other nations). But it's not; I've met people who, like I am, are completely against child labor, they want to help stop it. As an act of kindness, affection and courage, I consider their acts. I know that for many people, seeing children working seemed to be something too natural in my country (and in so many other nations). But it's not; I've met people who, like I am, are completely against child labor, they want to help stop it. As an act of kindness, affection and courage, I consider their acts.

Many of the children who work and are abused have no relatives, from my understanding, which drives them to go to work in the streets, mines, etc. and to accept hard jobs for them. This should inspire us to try to help by reducing this, either directly or indirectly.

In order to promote the eradication of child labor, UNICEF has launched the "#TheUnescapeRoom" campaign, you can click here http://bit.ly/2HFMnjd and support or simply use the hashtag #TheUnescapeRoom on your social networks and be one of these communities of people who want to make a positive effect on the world.


"Use what you have in your hands, and change the world"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DAUGHTERS OF INDIA

VOLCANOES

GLACIERS